Sunday, June 7, 2009

Everything's the same in the LA LA Land Machine

It's been almost a week since my last post -- sorry!

I will start off by saying I have not had any more LAPD run ins or car trouble since last we spoke :)

The past week was really busy. I kind of found my niche at work, which was nice. My intern director/boss aka Katie, was out of the office Tues-Fri afternoon helping to film a documentary so I acted in her place. I was in charge of answering phones, taking messages, doing online research and finding a screening room for a sneak peak of a film my producers made.

While answering the phone seems like an easy take, I assure you, it's not. It's actually very intimidating/terrifying at first. One woman explained to me on my first day, "People get fired over the phones in this business everyday. Get it right." After that pep talk, I made sure to ask someone exactly how I was to address people over the phone. Basically, no one will ever call to talk to me, so it's not important for them to know who they're speaking to, just who's office it is. Also, never hang up the phone without having the full name and number of the person who called and the reason that they called. Turns out, I'm not too bad at the phones and was actually praised for my skills. It may seem trivial, but I was ecstatic, seriously.

Now I'll tell you a bit about the office. Like I mentioned the other day (I think), we share a suite with a PR firm called Sunshine Sachs and another production company called Camelot films. The Sunshine peeps are really nice and super trendy. They are exactly like I thought PR people would be: great dressers, great hair, great shoes and funny. I don't work directly with them but it sounds like they have a pretty cool job with some awesome clients.

Camelot is really cool because while they have their own interns, I sometimes will get to work with them as well. The exec producers PA's name is Shauna and she's really nice. I think she's from the NY/NJ area so her accent is really cool...it reminds me of La La and Jac :) I've read some scripts of theirs and written a coverage for a film. Shauna was nice enough to let me read the script for a film that they're making over the summer and it was AWESOME. I'll let you all know when it comes out but it's totally an indie film and the writing was really clever.

Now for Hunting Lane Films: it's GREAT! Jamie and Kevin are the exec producers and Katie is Jamie's PA. I've only met Jamie once but he was really nice. Since Katie was out of the office most of the week, we didn't get to chat too much but she is also really really nice and is definitely someone I feel comfortable going to with "stupid" questions like how to use the copier/fax and where to get "so and so's" number. Since she did this program, she relates to the trials and tribulations of being an intern across the country and not making bones (money).

Kevin is the other e.p. and he's also a sales agent. He is so cool; seriously, that's the only way to describe him. Everything about him is LA. He's definitely the type of person that you really want to like you, and fortunately for me, I think he does. He asked me the other day to describe to him what a mash-up was, so I introduced him to Girl Talk and then we spent 20 minutes watching various youtube clips from different shows in the 70s and 80s. He thinks I'm funny because I'm "so little" aka I'm only 21 and he thinks I'm a baby haha. He also likes the Disney Channel so if you really know me, you know this is a match made in Heaven. I'm sure you'll hear more about him and the rest of the HL crew later on so I'll leave you with that for now.

This week there's a screening for a new film they're exec producing and they invited me to go so I'm really excited--my first early screening :) That's Tuesday evening so look out for a post around Wednesday.

Today, my roommates and I are journeying to a laundrymat so it should be interesting :) Sunday is turning out to be a movie day and we're thinking about seeing "Away We Go" or "The Hangover" which I've heard nothing but good things about from Amber. I hope you all enjoy this lazy Sunday. Miss you!

Celeb Sighting:
Kristen Bell (Gossip Girl's voice, Veronica Mars, Forgetting Sarah Marshall) checking out at our local grocery store
Pinkberry -- kind of a "local celeb" Amanda and I went the other day...it beats Yo Po AND Coldstone handsdown.

p.s. the title today is from Demi Lovato's song "La La Land Machine" She's a Disney star so natch, I love it.

1 comment: