Monday, June 15, 2009

Martinis and Manicures

This week was pretty packed but only a few occurrences of my week are noteworthy. I will recall them to you as such.


WEDNESDAY

Wednesday was the screening for a film that was produced by my company. After having found the venue and creating the guest list, I was super excited to see it all go through. It was a low key event held in the evening, right after the end of the work day. There were about 40 guests, including the director, writers, composer and other "big wigs," if you will. I had no idea what the film was about before seeing it and didn't know what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. The storyline was clever and while I did see the ending coming, the film definitely took some twists and turns to get there.
After the film was over, being the intern, I had to make copies of the completed questionnaires at Kinko's and drop them off at the producer's house. This seems like a simple task except if you know me, you know that I can also be technologically
deficient at times. This was one of those times. The copy machine busted and cut off the end of my copies so I had to sit in the middle of the store at 8pm for an hour trying to match everything back up. It was a mess.
I was completely flustered by the time I got home, after a failed attempt at Wendy's, so my roommates and I went down to the hot tub to relax. We met some interest
ing people there...mostly sketchballs, but there was also a Bruce Jenner look-a-like, no joke.


THURSDAY

A few of my roomies and I went to a laundromat to do laundry for the first time since being here. We found one not too far from our house. You may be wondering why this is of any interest to you. Well -- it's really not except that they played some AWESOME motown jams while we were there and if you recall, I love to sing/dance, especially to Motown. They played a Michael McDonald song (which I love) and it reminded me of this Justin Timberlake parody. Check it out here, it's hilarious.


FRIDAY

We went to The Standard. It's a hotel with a bar and dance club inside. It was a lot cooler than I thought it was going to be. There was a Russel Brandt / Jesse from MTV old school look-a-like in there with messy hair and combat boots. Besides that, it was pretty standard -- pun intended. I had a drink named after me, although I doubt anyone will ever order it, I like knowing that it exists haha. I have no clue what was in it other than some pomegranate flavored something and an orange twist on top. Everyone should travel here and order one so my name can be put on the map :) We also learned that drinks in LA are way more than they are in NC. I think we all knew it would be expensive but mixed drinks ran between $10-12 although they were a bit on the strong side and they only used top shelf liquors. More on these ridiculous prices to follow*.


SATURDAY

We had dinner and a mini lecture at our professor Paul's house. The lasagna was delicious and it was cool to be in a real house with a homecooked meal. He has this adorable little dog that I wanted to steal. He kind of reminded me of my dog Malcolm but with midget legs. Seriously, the dog might have been a foot from the ground but that was it. He was like a really fat hot dog with fluffy hair, so cute!!!
Afterwards, my boss Katie who's friends with a few interns invited us to a house party. We went and it was really chill. Everyone was just hanging out listening to a couple of guys play guitar, etc. Very low key, but nice. My roommates, Amanda and I all went out
after that because it was only about 1030 or so. We went to Beauty Bar and Ecco. The first was a really girly bar that played pretty cool eclectic music. You could also get your nails done there. It seems like a cool place to go early on in the night. Since there weren't too many dudes there, we left and went next door to Ecco after about an hour or so. It was apparently guest list only but these two dudes who spoke with strong spanish accents asked if we wanted to go in with them so we said, yes sirs. *They kept asking if we had a "bottle" inside. I learn that a bottle is a full bottle of champagne, which will run you upwards of $800. We didn't see much of them inside but we did meet a couple of guys from UNC (small world!) and a lot of dudes in fedoras haha. It was cool though and they played great dance music.


That's a pic of beauty bar. Pretty funky, right? :) Miss you all and hope you're enjoying the summer!
xoxo

1 comment:

  1. "two dudes who spoke with strong spanish accents asked if we wanted to go in with them so we said, yes sirs"


    some things never change...

    ReplyDelete